I am really excited about some of the fun things I plan to do over the next year. But, as I tell my girls, you have to get your work done before you play.
So my focus for October is to declutter and organize all areas of my life.
I decided to start with my physical surroundings - my home and my office. Now I'm not a candidate for Hoarders or anything, but to say my apartment is ten pounds of stuff in a five pound bag would be pretty accurate. And lately it's made me feel very claustrophobic and anxious.
Just like going on a diet, if you can see results right away, it'll help keep motivation up. So I made a list of every area in my apartment and office, breaking the big purge into a number of smaller, more manageable projects. And then I took two days off from work to really attack it.
Day one went great! I attacked my closet and pulled out all the things I didn't like, that didn't fit, or that I just didn't wear. I attacked the girls' closet and did the same - I even got the girls to help participate in the purge! We filled a big black garbage bag with coats and hats and scarves, and another five bags of clothes and shoes. I even attacked one of my storage units and filled up four boxes of stuff to get rid of. Things were off to a great start!
Day two was a little bit slower. Had some other commitments to take care of, so I couldn't dedicate the day to purging. And I was a bit sore from all the lifting, bending, carrying, etc from the day before. But I still got a lot accomplished. All the summer clothes got packed up, the bookcases and drawers got organized, and I took care of all but one of the drawers in my dresser. I also dropped that bag of coats, hats and scarves off at the dry cleaners for their coat drive. Which made me feel pretty damn happy.
Progress!
And now, I have a list of small projects I can tackle when I have as little as 15 minutes - I still need to go through my purses, the computer desk, linen closet, and many others. Many. Others. But I feel a lot better about it already. And I know that once I get my physical surroundings in order, I can focus on decluttering my mind and my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment