Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Happiness Project Inspiration

Heading back from Austin in April 2011, I wasn’t feeling good. OK, I was hungover. But if you knew the people I was in Austin with, you’d understand (whuddup CSMACers!). I had a layover in Detroit. Long enough that I could take a decent nap and arrive home feeling refreshed, but also long enough that if I feel asleep, I couldn’t guarantee I’d wake up in time to make the connection. So I decided to stay awake and headed to the bookstore to browse around.


Ten minutes later, I was sitting at my gate reading “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin on my Kindle. I <3 my Kindle.


I devoured the book, and loved the idea of it. But truth be told, I stopped reading it after awhile. Because it was Gretchen’s Happiness Project-her goals, her resolutions and her experience. So while I could read about what made her happier, I thought it would be better to focus on making myself happier. So this is what I’m doing - Karin’s Happiness Project, inspired by Gretchen.


To start, I had to think about what it is that brings me joy, satisfaction and engagement and focus on those. And then think about what it is that makes me feel guilty, angry or bored and try to eliminate those from my life. Following Gretchen’s example, I decided to make happiness-boosting resolutions that are concrete and measurable, and focus on one each month. I also created The Commandments and documented The Secrets of Adulthood.


Planning, creating lists and starting a new project - I'm happier already!

No comments:

Post a Comment